Minutes: September 13, 2005

September 13, 2005 6:34 pm Published by Leave your thoughts
Cascade SIGGRAPH Board Meeting
September 13, 2005
Minutes by Fran Zandonella
Please send all corrections to Fran Z.
Location
The Daily Cafe, The Pearl in Portland
Time: 12:45p – 2:00 pm
Attendees
Jeff Borg, Demetra Arnett, Andrew Dennis,
Fran Zandonella, Herc Silverstein, Michael Smith
Minutes
Minutes from last month (8/11/05) were not approved at this meeting.
Old Business
Review of Last Month’s Action Items
PSCC Workshop at SIGGRAPH 2005
Fran sent email to Fran McAfee regarding our SIGGRAPH Video
Review (aka SVR).  She is waiting for a reply.  We need the
SIGGRAPH Video Review to show at our Electronic Theatre
presentation if Samuel Lord Black is unable to bring the
full program.
Bylaws
The Bylaws have been sent to all the officers except Demetra.
Fran has Demetra’s snail-mail address and will send her the Bylaws.
The Bylaws are up on our website, but Fran is not sure if they are
linked in anywhere.  She’ll make sure they are linked in.
* Fran will mail the Bylaws to the Demetra.
* Fran will make sure that the Bylaws are linked in on the
Cascade SIGGRAPH website.
Membership
Demetra couldn’t export her gmail list of email addresses.
Fran will use Demetra’s original email list (since she was on
it) to create a membership mailing list.
* Demetra will email Fran the list of bounces and removal
requests.
The membership kits are in progress.  Michael doesn’t have any
special bins for the kits.
The Board moved and unanimously approved Demetra to buy 2 bins
for membership supplies.
* Demetra will buy 2 bins for the membership supplies
Volunteer Coordinator
Fran asked Michael if he would like to be the Volunteer Coordinator.
He is helping Demetra on the Programming Committee, and may have
time to help out with volunteers later this season.
The Volunteer Coordinator requires a commitment of 3 hours / month.
2 of those hours are wrangling the volunteers at the meeting.  The
remaining time would be spent obtaining volunteers.
Tasks for the Volunteer Coordinator are:
– Meetings
– help staff the door
– oversee other volunteers staffing the door
– Establish working relationships with companies and organizations
Andrew says he will manage the list of volunteers
Jeff will help phone volunteers when needed.
* Fran will find a Volunteer Coordinator.
Events
Electronic Theatre
Demetra has emailed Sam, but not heard back yet.  She will call
him if she doesn’t hear from him soon.  We want to get this
meeting set up as soon as possible.
* Fran will send Sam’s email address to Demetra and see if she has
his phone number if Demetra doesn’t hear back within a few days.
Andrew reported that last year the Hollywood Theatre cost $225
to rent, and the Laurelhurst Theatre cost $350.  The contact person
at the Hollywood Theatre is Richard Beer.
* Jeff will call around for venues as soon as we get some tentative
dates for this presentation.
Moongirl Presentation – Laika Studios (formerly Vinton
Studios)
This presentation was tentatively planned for September, but November
might be more likely.  A lot of staff has left, and many people are
on vacation at the end of August and beginning of September.
* As soon as more people get back, Fran will find out if a presentation
is possible.
Public Relations
Demetra is expecting to hear back from Heidi at Liason.  Michael
explained that usually Liason takes a press release from us and
then sends out information to its usual suspects.  Demetra has a
press release ready to send out for our first meeting.
* Demetra will send the board a copy of the press release for review.
* Fran will post the information on the web as soon as she gets it.
Website
Fran fixed and updated the broken event page on our website.
Herc & Andrew set up a twiki page.
* Herc will send out some directions on how to use the twiki page
* Jeff will contact some of the members-at-large to see if they are
still interested in being members at large.
* Andrew will set up some generic members-at-large email addresses
for our members at large.
* Michael S. will keep answering the info email for now.
* Fran will look into getting a page / form / mailing list for announcements
so people can add themselves to the announcement list.
New Business
Logo Contest
The board discussed having a logo contest for our chapter logo.  It will be open to all, with a submission deadline 30 days from the announcement of the logo contest.  The winner will get 2 memberships that are good for a year, plus acknowledgement and thanks on our website.
* Demetra will head this up.  She has a design class that possibly could do this as an assignment.
Committee Reports
Programming Committee
Events
Web Design
Demetra has scheduled a Web Design talk by Lindsay Bell of DarkWater Studios.
The date is Friday, October 14th, from 6-8pm.  We need to find a venue
that will hold about 30 people.  Lindsay has suggested a venue, but we need
to find out if it is big enough.  We think it holds 20 people.
* Demetra will follow up on the venue that Lindsay suggested.
* Michael will find out if the Art Institute is available.
BYOA – Bring Your Own Animation
Michael Smith is in charge of this.  Michael has some calls in to people, but hasn’t heard back yet.  He will keep us posted.
SIGGRAPH Talks
Michael’s original request was to see about contacting local people who spoke at SIGGRAPH 2005 to see if they will re-present their talks to our chapter.
Jeff spoke to some people at Intel and PSU about their presentations.
* Jeff will follow up on some of his contacts.
Next Programming Committee Meeting
The next Programming Committee meeting will be September 28, 6:30pm at the Kennedy School.
Promoting Cascade SIGGRAPH
Demetra asks, “Are we doing any promotions (booths, flyers, etc.) or have any presence at local non-SIGGRAPH conferences?”  Not recently, but the board thinks it is a good idea.  Some possible organizations to cross-pollinate with are: ASIFA (animation), CHIFOO (human interface design), and PADIG (gaming).  Job Fairs and the Creative Conference would be good too.
* Herc will ask Connie @ the Creative Conference and Gaming about our participation.
Donorship
Michael & Jeff are still working with Andy Larkin on getting some donations to Cascade SIGGRAPH.
The question came up, “What does someone get when they donate to our organization?”  Some suggestions were:
– Free memberships
– Discounts
The board decided to give coupons for $5 to be used for an event, 20 per quarter.  The coupons would have a three month expiration.  This will encourage people to join.
Membership
See report under Old Business / Review of Last Month’s Action Items.
Website
See report under Old Business / Review of Last Month’s Action Items.
Next Meeting
Our next meeting will be Tuesday, October 4th, at
12:30pm at the Daily Cafe in The Pearl.
The meeting adjourned at 2pm.
Action Items
============
Bylaws
* The Officers need to approve the minutes from Aug 11th, 2005.
Bylaws
* Fran will mail the Bylaws to the Demetra.
* Fran will make sure that the Bylaws are linked in on the
Cascade SIGGRAPH website.
Membership
* Demetra will email Fran the list of bounces and removal
requests.
* Demetra will buy 2 bins for the membership supplies
Volunteer Committee
* Fran will find a Volunteer Coordinator.
Events
Electronic Theatre
* Fran will send Demetra Sam’s email address and see if she has
his phone number if Demetra doesn’t hear back within a few days.
* Jeff will call around for venues as soon as we get some tentative
dates for this presentation.
Moongirl Presentation – Laika Studios (formerly Vinton
Studios)
* As soon as more people get back, Fran will find out if a presentation
is possible.
Web Design
* Demetra will follow up on the venue that Lindsay suggested.
* Michael will find out if the Art Institute is available.
SIGGRAPH Talks
* Jeff will follow up on some of his contacts re: local speakers who presented at SIGGRAPH 2005.
Promoting Cascade SIGGRAPH
* Herc will ask Connie @ the Creative Conference and Gaming about our participation to promote Cascade SIGGRAPH.
Logo Contest
* Demetra will head up the logo contest.
Public Relations
* Demetra will send the board a copy of the press release for review.
* Fran will post the information on the web as soon as she gets it.
Website
* Herc will send out some directions on how to use the twiki page
* Jeff will contact the members-at-large to see if they are
still interested in being members at large.
* Andrew will set up some generic members-at-large email addresses
for our members at large.
* Michael S. will keep answering the info email for now.
* Fran will look into getting a page / form / mailing list for announcements
so people can add themselves to the announcement list.

Categorised in:

This post was written by admin

Leave a Reply