Minutes: June 15th, 2006

June 15, 2006 6:07 pm Published by Leave your thoughts
Cascade SIGGRAPH Board Meeting
June 15, 2006
Minutes by Fran Zandonella
Please send all corrections to Fran Z.
Location
Lucky Lab, 1945 NW Quimby St. in Portland
Time: 12:55p – 2:00 pm
Attendees
Jeff Borg, Demetra Gilmore Arnett, Andrew Dennis, Fran Zandonella,
Herc Silverstein, Michael Smith
Minutes
Minutes from April (4/21/06) and May (5/19/06) were approved.
Old Business
Logos
We need the new versions of the logos by early July so we can choose a logo
for our new business cards.
SIGGRAPH 2006 Conference
Fran signed up for the Conference Access Pass.  She signed up for the 2 hour
booth duty and will check with Fran McCaffee about whether she needs to do a
total of 4 hours because we only have 1 person going to the Conference from
the Cascade Chapter.
Fran will ask member Jenny Orr to help out finding speakers who will speak
for both our chapter and Willamette University.  Fran will ask Kerry Tescher
to help us with PR and getting sponsors for next year’s meetings.
* Fran will ask member Jenny Orr to help out finding speakers who will speak
for both our chapter and Willamette University.
* Fran will ask Kerry Tescher to help us with PR and getting sponsors for next
year’s meetings.
Bylaws
Jeff forwarded our proposed Bylaws changes to Fran McCaffee for approval by
ACM and SIGGRAPH so we can put it for the vote by our members.
Fran noted the ones that were sent were not the exact wording approved by
the Board at our May meeting.  She will send Jeff the correct text.
* Fran will send Jeff the correct text for the bylaws.
NW Games Festival, June 3rd
Jeff reported on the NW Games Fesitval.  He said that the Art Institute
and various other university people were there.  There were some booths
from Game Creators.  The venue sat 75 people, and it was mostly full.
There were many good speakers, and the main topic seemed to be that
the industry is going away from game engines.  The NWGF gave away a lot
of good stuff.
This was a worthwhile event for us.  Many people were exposed to SIGGRAPH
for the first time.  We look forward to doing it next year.
New Business
ACM and ACM SIGGRAPH Reporting
Our chapter needs to do its year end reporting.  Jeff will send Fran Z
the link to the reports.
Fran asked for clarification of how many people attended the April 22nd
CG Social.  Members of the Board who attended the event estimate about
22 people attended the event at Hubers.
* Jeff will send Fran Z the link to the ACM SIGGRAPH reports.
Volunteers
We need more for the coming year.  Fran noted that there is a volunteer
email list:  volunteers (at) cascadesiggraph.org
* Everyone please send your volunteer requirements to Jeff.
Elections
Elections are in progress.  They went out a bit late due to Fran
being out of town.  Fran created an elections (at) cascadesiggraph.org
account, and she is the only one with permission to access that account.
The Board unanimously voted to keep it that way.
Demetra asked Mark Macey if he would like to serve on our Board.  She
will also ask Kurt Macey.
* Demetra will ask Kurt Macey if he would like to serve on our Board.
Committee Reports
Events
June Meeting, Applications Night: 3D Modeling and Sound & Graphics, June 29, 2006
(was The Evolving World of 3D Modeling)
The original meeting The Evolving World of 3D Modeling fell through.
The company that was to present will probably present this meeting in
the Fall sometime.
Herc worked on trying to get some speakers from Intel.  He talked with
Adam Lake and Jeffrey Williams and got some contact from them.  None of
them panned out for speakers, but we might be able to do a tour of Intel
instead.
Demetra was able to secure two groups to speak:  Second Story on their
modeling of a project for the New Bedford Whaling Museum, and Mythod
Productions to speak about putting sound and graphics together on the
fly (video DJ’ing) for events.  There are 4 presenters.  Demetra will
be on vacation that week, so Michael will coordinate on the day of the
event.
We went over what needs to be done for the June meeting.  Michael will
handle the speaker prep meeting to verify that their presentation
equipment works at the venue (PCC Cascade campus).  Greg Walters is
the contact at the PCC.
Election results will be announced at this meeting.
July Event, CG Social, July 24, 2006
We need a venue for this event.  We’d prefer a smoke-free venue.
Upcoming Events
The Board put together a preliminary schedule for next year
(2006 – 2007 Season).
September Meeting, 3DV’s AutoDesk Tour, September 14, 2006
Mark Macey hasn’t confirmed this meeting yet.
October Meeting, Electronic Theatre, October TBD, 2006
We’re planning on holding this meeting at the PCC Cascade Campus,
as the theatre is new and will hold 300 people.
We want the details for this event to be nailed down by August 31st.
* Fran will do her best to confirm the date with Terrence Masson
(ET Chair) at SIGGRAPH 2006.
November Meeting, Tour of Intel?, November TBD, 2006
We could possibly have a tour at Intel for members only.  We could
also show the documentary History of Computer Graphics and then
have a pioneer speak about “The Good Old Days.”
April Meeting, Getting a Job in Computer Graphics, April TBD, 2007
Fran would like to do the jobs meeting this month.  We should have
our university list in place by this time, and Fran would like to
have people reviewing portfolios and giving more personal career
advice before the meeting.
May Meeting, Bring Your Own Art (BYOA), May 3, 2007 (First Thursday in the Pearl)
Michael will be working on this one.  We want to do it on a First
Thursday in an art gallery in the Pearl, with at least 1 invited
artist to display their work.  We need a bigger place than the
last venue (Art Institute).
Open months are: November, January, February, March, and June.
Possible meeting collaborators are ASIFA-Portland, the
International Film Festival, and Willamette University (Jenny Orr).
Michael mentioned that we should find out about conferences that are
in town that might touch on subjects would make good topics for
Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH meetings.  For example, there is a Web Visions
conference in July.  ChiFoo is listed as an associate chapter.  We
should find out about getting listed, too.  And we should link to
these sites from our site as well.
Membership
We now have 60 members now and over 300 on the announcement email
list.  Not much changed this month because we skipped the May meeting.
Financial Report
No new report for this month.  Michael needs to cash the check
that Andy gave him.  Jeff or Andy need to pay for our website.
Website
Our website hosting is due for its yearly renewal.  Jeff or Andy
will take care of paying for it.
* Jeff or Andrew will take care of paying for it.
We need to put the volunteer requirements on the web.
* Fran will put the chapter volunteer requirements on the web.
We would like to put links to our BYOA presenters websites on our
website.  Fran needs help with this, especially on the data entry side.
* Demetra will ask Patrick Coan if he can help with this.
For conferences that are in town and are relevant to ACM SIGGRAPH,
we would like to link to their  sites from our site to promote
computer graphics in Portland.
We should have pictures of the officers and photos of our events
to post on our website.
Twiki
The Twiki is up.  We’ll keep the address private for now (members
of the Board only).  Herc asks people to please take a look at it
and add their notes.
* Andy needs to fix the auto update on the twiki.
Email Announcement List
Who approves the additions to our email lists?  Andy or Michael approve
people asking to be added to our email lists.
Michael reported that we are seeing spam at the byoa@cascadesiggraph.org.
Next Meeting
Our next proposed meeting is July 13th, 2006 at 12:30 pm,
Lucky Lab, 1945 NW Quimby St. in Portland
The next Programming Meeting is July 17th at 6pm, location TBD.
The meeting adjourned at 2:00pm.
Action Items
============
SIGGRAPH 2006 Conference
* Fran will ask member Jenny Orr to help out finding speakers
who will speak for both our chapter and Willamette University.
* Fran will ask Kerry Tescher to help us with PR and getting
sponsors for next year’s meetings.
Bylaws
* Fran will send Jeff the correct text for the bylaws.
ACM and ACM SIGGRAPH Reporting
* Jeff will send Fran Z the link to the ACM end of year reports.
Volunteers
* Everyone please send your volunteer requirements to Jeff.
Elections
* Demetra will ask Kurt Macey if he would like to serve on our Board.
Events
October Meeting, Electronic Theatre, October TBD, 2006
* Fran will do her best to confirm the date of our Electronic
Theatre meeting with Terrence Masson (ET Chair) at SIGGRAPH 2006.
Website
* Jeff or Andrew will take care of paying for our website renewal.
* Fran will put the chapter volunteer requirements on the web.
* Demetra will ask Patrick Coan if he can help with data entry
of the BYOA presenter websites for use on our website.
Twiki
* Andy needs to fix the auto update on the twiki.

Categorised in:

This post was written by admin

Leave a Reply