Minutes: July 13th, 2006

July 13, 2006 6:06 pm Published by Leave your thoughts
Cascade SIGGRAPH Board Meeting
July 13, 2006
Minutes by Fran Zandonella
Please send all corrections to Fran Z.
Location
Lucky Lab, 1945 NW Quimby St. in Portland
Time: 1:00p – 2:20 pm
Attendees
Jeff Borg, Demetra Gilmore Arnett, Andrew Dennis, Fran Zandonella
Minutes
Minutes from June (6/15/06) were approved.
Old Business
Logos
We reviewed the logos submitted and chose one logo to put on our Business Card.
* Demetra will send Fran the name of the winner of the logo contest so that the person can get their free membership and put their information on the website.
Business Cards
* Demetra will order business cards before Fran leaves for SIGGRAPH 2006 in Boston.
Healthcare thru local SIGGRAPH Chapter?
Andy asks, can the local SIGGRAPH offer an insurance program?  Fran mentions that ACM SIGGRAPH offers an insurance program for members.
* Andy will look into seeing if our local chapter can offer a discounted insurance plan for local members.
SIGGRAPH 2006 Conference
Fran asked member Jenny Orr to help us find speakers for our chapter and Willamette University.  Jenny also will help with booth duty.  Fran asked Kerry to help out with PR and finding sponsors for next year’s meetings.
Fran would like to get 10 speakers from outside of the Portland area to come speak in Portland.  In order to do this, we need funding.  Fran will attempt to fundraise $7500 to pay for these speakers.  We plan on paying for airfare, hotel, and car rental.  She will also look for companies that will donate things (graphics cards, software, etc) for raffle.
* Fran will seek out speakers and funding for speakers at SIGGRAPH 2006.
Volunteers
Demetra sent her list to Jeff.  Fran is still working on her list.  Fran brought several examples from the LA Chapter of old calls for volunteers.
* Fran will send Jeff her suggestions for volunteers.
* All Board members should send their volunteer suggestions to Jeff.
Fran met a member named Kris who is interested in being our webmaster.
* Fran will get Kris’s resume for Webmaster and send it to the Board.
Elections
Demetra asked Kurt Macey to serve on our Board as a member at large.  He declined, but recommended Demetra to contact Russell Coontz (formerly of ILM) to serve as a Member at Large.
* Demetra will call Russell to see if he is interested in getting involved in our chapter.
At our last elections, there were 2 write-in candidates.  We need to find out if they are truly interested in serving on the Board.
* Jeff will contact the write-in candidates to find out if they are interested in serving on the Board.
We discussed inviting a member of ChiFoo’s board to serve as a Member at Large on our Board to improve communication between our organizations.
ACM and ACM SIGGRAPH Reporting
Fran is still working on this report.  Jeff sent Fran the link for this report.
New Business
Learning from ChiFoo
Demetra gave us a report about her talk with the ChiFoo folks.  She joined ChiFoo.  The Portland ChiFoo is very organized.  They have a very nice brochure which describes their organization.  We would like to have a similar brochure to use for advertising and for fundraising.
ChiFoo had a raffle, and a survey evaluation at the end of the meeting.      ChiFoo gives everyone an attendance receipt.  Every year they explore a theme.
Committee Reports
Events
June Meeting, Applications Night: 3D Modeling and Sound & Graphics, June 29, 2006
The June meeting was a very successful and interesting meeting.  We had 37 people at this meeting.  We got 4 new memberships, and had about 10 members, and 23 walkins.
* Fran will give memberships to our speakers from the June meeting.
Upcoming Events
In our upcoming events, we plan to mention upcoming ChiFoo meetings and events.  We also want to have job announcements and flyers from companies that are hiring at our meetings.
Before meetings, we’d like to have a screen saver / slide show that talks about our chapter, ACM SIGGRAPH, and ACM, and promotes our chapter activities and connections.  We’d also like to show the logos and company names of our supporters.
We’d like to connect up with local conferences in town, promoting them and being promoted by them.
* Jeff will ask Michael to contact the Web Visions conference to see about putting their links on the site.
July Event, CG Social, July 24, 2006
This event will happen at the Brigdeport Brew Pub.  We’ll be in our own room.  Demetra will confirm which room we are in.
September Meeting, AutoDesk Tour (presented by 3DV), September 14, 2006
This meeting might happen later in the month (2nd or 3rd Thursday – 9/14 or 9/21).  It is currently scheduled to take place at the Portland Hotel.  We want to get on AutoDesk’s tour schedule and and be listed on their website.
Mark and Kurt Macey are working on this meeting.
* Jeff will call Autodesk to see about getting on their tour for September.
October Meeting, Electronic Theatre, October TBD, 2006
We’re planning on holding this meeting at the PCC Cascade Campus.
* Demetra will talk to Greg Walters at PCC to find out what formats their theatre supports.  We would like to show the high def version of the ET.
We would also like to sell pre-tickets so we can add another show if we sell out, or so we can plan the correct amount of food.  We would also like to offer a give-away for this meeting.
We also would love to take payment on-line for this meeting.
We want the details for this event to be nailed down by August 31st.
* Fran will do her best to confirm the date with Terrence Masson
(ET Chair) at SIGGRAPH 2006.
Membership
We now have 64 members now and over 300 on the announcement email
list.
Financial Report
No new report for this month.
Website
Our website renewal has been paid.
We’d like to have affiliate logos and links on our website.
Our website redesign meeting is next Wed 7/19 at 2:30pm or Thur 7/20 at 6pm at Fran’s house.  Demetra, Andy, and Fran will meet.
* Fran will confirm the website meeting.
* Everyone should put their web requirements on the wiki.
For conferences that are in town and are relevant to ACM SIGGRAPH,
we would like to link to their  sites from our site to promote
computer graphics in Portland.
Next Meeting
Our next proposed meeting is August 17th, 2006 at 12:30 pm,
Bridgeport Brew Pub,  NW  St. in Portland
The next Programming Meeting is August 30th at 6pm, location TBD.
The meeting adjourned at 2:20pm.
Action Items
============
Logos
* Demetra will send Fran the name of the winner of the logo contest so that the person can get their free membership and put their information on the website.
Business Cards
* Demetra will order business cards before Fran leaves for SIGGRAPH 2006 in Boston.
Healthcare thru local SIGGRAPH Chapter?
* Andy will look into seeing if our local chapter can offer a discounted insurance plan for local members.
SIGGRAPH 2006 Conference
* Fran will seek out speakers and funding for speakers at SIGGRAPH 2006.
Volunteers
* Everyone please send your volunteer requirements to Jeff.
Elections
* Demetra will call Russell to see if he is interested in getting involved in our chapter.
* Jeff will contact the write-in candidates to find out if they are interested in serving on the Board.
Events
Upcoming Events
·          Jeff will ask Michael to contact the Web Visions conference to see about putting their links on the site.
September Meeting, Electronic Theatre, October TBD, 2006
·          Jeff will call Autodesk to see about getting on their tour for September.
October Meeting, Electronic Theatre, October TBD, 2006
* Demetra will talk to Greg Walters at PCC to find out what formats their theatre supports.  We would like to show the high def version of the ET.
* Fran will do her best to confirm the date of our Electronic Theatre meeting with Terrence Masson (ET Chair) at SIGGRAPH 2006.
Membership
* Fran will give memberships to our speakers from the June meeting.
Website
* Fran will put the chapter volunteer requirements on the web.
* Fran will get Kris’s resume for Webmaster and send it to the Board.
* Fran will confirm the website meeting.
* Everyone should put their web requirements on the wiki.
Twiki
* Andy needs to fix the auto update on the twiki.

Categorised in:

This post was written by admin

Leave a Reply